Saturday, August 1, 2015

All the Memory in the World / Final thoughts on the class


All the Memory in the World is a great film to end on. There are countless examples of other films as the narrator, who deals with insomnia, tells his story. Every time the scene vignettes in or out, I feel like we are viewing as a camera would. Focusing on the whole subject and then drawing closer to individual parts of it. The narrator seems extremely creepy. His voice is monotone throughout the whole film. The narrator is also incredibly obsessed with images. It would be extremely hard to keep track of all the different images focused upon within the entirety of the film.  I like the fast paced style that we are given. It is very systematic, moving from one image to the next. Sometimes we are given a series of images in a row; well I guess the whole film is a series of images in a row now that I think about it. There are many superimpositions of images in order to tell the narrators story. The film really brings you to the same consciousness as the narrators. It does so with the pacing and editing styles. This is a film about thousands of films.

Now, as far as the course goes, I just want to say that I really enjoyed it. I was very much entertained with a lot of the films. Most of which, I would not have been exposed to had I not taken this course. This all was entirely new to me. I had not participated in a class like this before. I really enjoyed having our own special space on blogger to share thoughts and ideas. I feel like the most valuable part of the course, was our hangout sessions. During and after our hang sessions, I would start to look at the films in a way that had not come to me before. Sometimes I would go in not entirely understanding a film, and leave the session with a completely new understanding. Sometimes I would leave more confused than when I entered. Either way, I was still thinking about the films. After all, that is the point right? To develop some sort of new understanding. Or even to accept that somethings are to be misunderstood.  I also appreciated the texts shared, as those were very interesting as well. I think I will carry them with me through life. They definitely challenged my usual way of thinking. Which is important to me.

Well, it’s been real! Thank you for exposing me to some great films!

- Lynda Mouledoux

No comments:

Post a Comment