Sunday, July 12, 2015

Week 3

The two films we watched Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Take One and I Am Curious were both metacinema in the way that both films were about making films. However Symbio (As I will resort to using it in short) is a documentary about a film that director William Greaves is working on and he insists that not only will he have his camera crew shooting the main action of the actors but he has another camera crew shooting the crew shooting the actors. To add on to everything Greaves is seemingly sabotaging the making of the film and the way he goes about it in order to get a catastrophe on set. This theory of course wouldn't be a part of the film if it weren't for the extra scenes where the crew filming the actors and working more closely with Greaves discussing what the hell the film is about and what the hell the director is doing. Greaves himself seems to be a character in all of this as he comes off as acting while in front of the cameras.  I found this use of metacinema the most interesting use we have seen so far. I thought this idea for a film was brilliant however it was a little short with not a lot of substance beyond the theory of the crew.

I Am Curious: Yellow was a film that I had never seen before and I understood why after viewing it. The film is about a director who is making a film with this woman who is a drama student. For me this film was very dull however I get what it is doing. I Am Curious lives up to its name as the lead character is asking social questions such as "Does Sweden have a class system?" or something along the lines of "Do women have equal opportunities". This film displays metacinema because it follows this director making a film and on several occasions we see a film crew. The director during the entire thing is very jealous of his lead actor and it ends with him and another girl which leads me to believe it's just a never ending cycle.

1 comment:

  1. Yet again, way too short. This amounts to being incomplete. And generally speaking, there is a total absence of specific examples from the film. I need to see you describing concrete moments/sequences. What does the camera do? What is happening on the sound? How does this relate to the themes of the film? You need to be more precise. Describe the technical aspects of the films...

    ReplyDelete