Friday, July 31, 2015

Contempt


The film Contempt, is very much a film about filmmaking. We are watching Paul write a screenplay and also viewing the relationship with his wife. It seems like his wife just needed to feel validated. In the beginning, before I knew the nature of their relationship, I remember a part where she was asking him if he liked every part of her body. This seemed to bother me a little bit. Did she really need to be validated by a man? I came to find out that they were both in love with each other, and it was more of just a conversation. Plus his answer was very nice. He said something like he loved her “Totally... tenderly... tragically.” Which is quite a beautiful thing to say.

One of my favorite quotes from the movie is:

“To know that one does not know, is the gift of a superior spirit. Not to know and to think that one does know is a mistake. To know that this is a mistake, keeps one from making it. I have the knowledge here.”

I’d like to just touch on that because I find it extremely true. When you have knowledge that other people do not, you are definitely holding the upper had. After all knowledge is power. When you think you know something, but you actually have no idea what you are talking about, you look like a dumbass. And you usually sound like one too. Have you ever read the comments on viral videos? There are some great examples there. Anyways… When you know something is wrong, if you are wise, you tend to avoid it. Which keeps you from making mistakes. Sometimes you have to make a mistake once in order to understand that it is, in fact a mistake, to keep you from every making said mistake again. This is why I enjoy that quote so much.

The couple is everything but happy the whole movie. They seem to slit up in front of our eyes. Unable to satisfy each other as they did when we were first introduced to them. It seems like every ones relationships are clashing in this film. Even though Camille says that she still loves Paul, it is very much apparent that something is missing. It is not the same love that she once shared with him. Maybe it is because he is just too busy at work. At one point, Paul suggests that they go to the movies. Even though he should be home working on the script. He claims that it may give him some ideas. Camille responded by saying he should be looking into his own brain for ideas rather than stealing someone else’s content. I also enjoyed this dialogue. It seems like even present day, there are so many of the same films being made. Don’t get me wrong. Some films are great and completely original. But I’m sure everyone knows of at least one film that seemed exactly like another.

Anyways, I appreciated the film Contempt, although I have to admit it wasn’t my absolute favorite.


My apologies for the delay in this response as well. I’ve had some things come up these past two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment