Sunday, June 28, 2015

Cody Schmitt Intro

Hello,

I'm Cody Schmitt a senior film student and next semester will be my last. I am interested in metacinema because it is self-referential. It's aware what it is and how it functions so it isn't afraid to call attention to itself or the filmmaking process.

When I think about metacinema the first thing I think of is Community. One character, Abed, is obsessed with movies and television and he makes references to their lives on the show as being similar to TV. All the other characters act like Abed is out of the loop or just crazy, but as someone watching the show, we can see that Abed's observations are spot-on to what we are watching. This causes us to think about things beyond the confines of the show and ponder on the concept and tropes of television.

For Example:

Here's a video I made in two hours one night. I think it's a bit meta because the character directly addresses the audience.  Mortgage Calculator

No comments:

Post a Comment